My little family joined my large extended family for a lovely Easter gathering in Edmonton last week. It occurred to me, as I was designated dessert table setter upper, that it was a brilliant idea to assign some people the job of bringing a delicious dessert to share and set up a kind of Dessert Buffet. So my little sister Natalie - our gracious hostess, deserves credit for this weeks post idea - Dessert Buffet Potluck. For large gatherings where guests are asked to contribute a food item of some sort, hostess' can arrange a delicious, impromptu Sweet Buffet and achieve maximum guest happiness :) with very little effort.
On your electric invite - simply set up a list of optional items for guests to bring to avoid too much overlap. Some safe suggestions (esp. for those who you trust to do more than stop by the local bakery):
- Lemon bars, date bars, brownie bars any kind of bar - slice and place single servings in cupcake holders
- Chocolate cake
- Carrot cake
- Black forest cake
- Red Velvet cake
- Cheese cake
- Cup cakes (mini cupcakes are also great for taste testing)
- Tiramisu, ie. the one from M & M Meat Shops - hello have you seen their selection of defrost and serve tasty desserts?
- Grab a bag of Homestyle Two Bite Brownies, or Pecan Tarts or Cinnamon Swirls
- Chocolate covered anything
- Doughnuts are even a hit at some functions
- Assorted Candies & Confections.
Set up a table with a nice linen, set out some matching serving platters and serving ware so it is easy to transfer goods from the plastic, or cardboard packaging. And there you go, a Dessert Buffet to delight the masses.
Be sure to thank your guests and showcase the bakers among you who put in great effort!
Where else can you create a Dessert Buffet Potluck?